Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fococcia Bread

I was in the mood for some fresh pizza bread yesterday so I put this together. The kids loved it. I had the BEST fococcia bread EVER when I was in Florence. I wish I could replicate it...I've never been able to. Guess I'll just have to go back there...



Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups warm water
2 envelopes dry yeast
1 tbs honey
3 tbs olive oil
4 cups flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp oregano

**I use my Kitchenaid mixer. Her name is Blanca. She is my best friend. You should definately get yourself a Blanca**

Combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Let yeast disolve for a few minutes. Add 3 cups flour, then the salt and mix on med-low for 10 minutes. While mixing, add 1 more cup flour. When dough is combined and ready, turn it on a floured board and knead by hand about 6 times. Place dough in a bowl well oiled with olive oil, turn dough to cover with oil. Cover bowl with damp kitch towel. Allow to rest and rise at room temp for 30 min.

Preheat oven to 450.

Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Make a pizza and foccocia, 2 pizzas, save some for later...whatever you like. Roll dough to desired thickness and shape. Push dimples into dough and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with oregano and kisher salt. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Serve warm.

**If making pizza, top with your favorite toppings. Same cook time.

No comments: