Saturday, September 27, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

This is another recipe that my Grandma used to make. So yummy! This will be for the babysitter and the kids tonight. We both work late. I'm sure they'll love it.

This is another one of those dishes where I have almost everything I need on hand already. I only had to pick up ham for this recipe. I love when that happens!

Ingredients:

4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
3 cups cooked ham, cubed
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups light cream
1 tsp dill weed
1/3 cup flour
1/8 tsp ground mustard
1 cup cheddar cheese

Topping:
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp dill weed
2 Tbs melted butter
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large bowl combine chicken, ham and cheese. Set aside. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour, stir to form a paste. Gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute or until thick. Add dill, and mustard. Mix well. Remove from heat and pour over meat mixture. Spoon into a greased 9x13" pan. Toss bread crumbs, melted butter, dill and cheese. Pour evenly over top of casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Serves 8-10
**Picture is of leftovers the next day - I forgot to take the pic same day!

Feedback:
Our babysitter said this was great and that the kids gobbled it up. Even her son, who is much more picky than my hogs! I had leftovers for lunch. So yummy.

I love eating things that remind me of when I was a kid, it's great when food does that to you. I think that is part of the reason why it's so important to me that my family eat at home as much as possible. I want their memories to be like mine - of family around the table eating good food. Not at whatever fast food place we all agreed on that night.

No comments: