Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Frog Eye Salad

This recipe came from my Grandmother, and for a long time I only got to enjoy it at family get-togethers. But I finally got the recipe from her, and after a few failed attempts, I've finally got it down! And though nothing ever tastes as good as Grandmas, this is even excellent when I make it now. Plus, it deters me from eating ice cream every night (for a few days =)). Not to mention, my kids LOVE it!

Frog Eye Salad

1/2 cup Acini de Pepe pasta
1 8oz can pineapple chunks (Save juice)
1 11oz can mandarin oranges
1 cup coconut - optional
1 8z container cool whip
1 egg
1 cup sugar
reserved pineapple juice
2-4 tbs flour

Boil water and cook Acini de Pepe. Rinse and allow to cool. Cook sugar, egg, pineapple juice and flour together, wisking often until thick. (Takes about 8 min). Allow to cool, wisking every few minutes.
Combine fruit, coconut (if using), coolwhip, pasta, and pineapple mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving.

**After you first combine the ingredients, they will appear soupy. They will set overnight and be a firmer, tapioca-ish consistency.

No comments: