Monday, September 29, 2008

Mom's Sloppy Joes

It's my Friday again! Thank goodness!

I'm not sure where my mom got this recipe, but she's made it for us forever. And it's still the best Sloppy Joe recipe I've ever had. Not to mention, I get to use my crockpot. So I love them even more!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb ground beef
salt
pepper
garlic powder
Olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
12 oz ketchup
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs worchestershire
2 tbs sweet pickle relish
8 oz sour cream
Hamburger buns

Cook onions and celery in saucepan with olive oil for 5 min until tender. Add ground beef to skillet and season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. When meat is cooked through, pour into crockpot. Add ketchup, sugar, worchestershire, and relish. Stir to combine all. Cook on low for 3 hours (or high for 1 hr). Put sour cream into mix and stir to combine for the last 30 minutes. Serve on buns.


Feedback:
I've made this plenty of times before and the kids love it. My 2 year old eats 2 hamburgers - the same amount as my husband and I!! For those of you who never knew sloppy joes aren't just made my "Manwich", give these a try, you'll never go back to the can!

1 comment:

Charlee said...

I never knew sloppy joes didn't come from a seasoning packet!