Friday, September 19, 2008

Home-Style Ribs

Tonight I work until 11pm, so the family will be eating without me. I made dinner in the trusty crockpot, and my husband will probably make a quick rice or potato side dish and some corn (or he won't and the kids won't know the difference anyways!).


The Ingredients:


Home-Style Ribs

4-5lbs bonless pork spareribs, cut into pieces
1 med onion sliced
1 cup ketchup
1/2 to 1 cup water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbs Worchestershire sauce
2 tsp ground mustard
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika

Place half the ribs in slow cooker and top with half the onion. Repeat layers. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over all. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours
Yield: 6-8 servings (Recipe Courtesy Taste of Home Magazine)

**I will be cutting the meat portion of this recipe in half. My very young children eat like a herd of teenagers, but I think there would still be a lot left over. I bought 2 lbs of the ribs but still made the full recipe amount of sauce - the kids will love to dip bread in it. I also cooked mine on low for 6 hours, since I had less meat.

**I love that all I had to do was purchase ribs for this dinner. Every other ingredient is something that I always have on hand. Makes for a rather in-expensive dinner - which I am ALL ABOUT these days!


Feedback from the zoo:

They ate it up, which never surprises me! Hubby said it was really good, falling apart and moist. He said the 2 babies inhaled it, and my toddler looked at it for awhile before eating it. He usually sees if the babies are eating it, and then he goes for it - like the King making his subjects test the food before he will eat it! Another hit! Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch - if there are any...

No comments: