Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Beef Chimichangas

So I have the distinct pleasure of living very close to Mexico. I have been there many-a-times, and never ONCE have I seen a chimichanga on the menu in an authentic Mexican restaurant. Maybe it's just that I go to seedy taco stands...but I really don't know how truly Mexican a chimichanga is. HOWEVER, they are fabulous! I made these with the help of my trusty crockpot.

Ingredients:

1 1/2lb pound top round roast
salt and pepper
1/2 cup water
1 can tomatoes and green chilis (like Rotel brand) - drained
1 can diced tomatoes - drained
buritto tortillas
canola oil

For topping:
diced onions
olives
sour cream
lettuce
shredded cheese

Place meat, seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper, into the crockpot. Pour in 1/2 cup water and cook on low for 8 hours. After the meat has cooked, pull it out of the crock, and skim off fat drippings. Leave about 1 cup liquid in crock. Put the meat back inside, and shed using two forks. Add the canned, drained, tomatoes and chilis. Turn crock up to high and cook for about 20 minutes to warm everything back up. Warm your tortillas one at a time over an open flame on your stove, on each side. Place a spoonful of meat down the center of the tortilla (You can put cheese inside if you prefer). Seal tortilla well by folding top and bottom over the meat and then folding in the sides. Heat up oil in a large skillet to coat the bottom. Place your tortilla seam side down. Fry until golden (about 1 min) and then flip. Remove and continue with as many as you'd like. Top with whatever toppings you choose.

I served ours with canned refried beans. Very Mexican, I'm sure of it! I also put the shredded cheese and diced onions inside the buritto before I fried them.





Feedback:

These were excellent. Not the healthiest meal I've ever made, but probably still better than eating it at a restaurant. And they were great so who cares, really?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE chimichangas (sp?) When im being cheap and lazy I get the 25cent burritos and fry them up.