Monday, October 27, 2008

Chicken Tetrazzini

Thursday Dinner-
Haven't tried this one before...hope its good!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
4 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
1/2 pound pasta, cooked, drained - whatever you have on hand (I had macaroni)
4 cups cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Saute until liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add broth and milk, stirring until blended. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat. Add 3 cups cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Stir in pasta and chicken. Pour into a buttered shallow 3 quart baking dish.

Mix remaining cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle over casserole.

Bake, uncovered, until bubbly. 35-40 minutes


Feedback:

I made this today before I left for work, and couldn't help but eat a serving for myself. This is super good! I didn't get to try it with the crumb crust of course, but the sauce is cheesy and creamy, and the mushroom sauted in garlic...oh my, oh my! The kids gobbled it up. And my youngest, who has been acting like he didn't feel too well all day, ate a little and then threw up all over his highchair. Poor thing (him AND my husband, who had to clean it up). Hubby hates mushrooms, but he doesn't mind picking them out. I am determined to change his mind about them, so I refuse to take them out of the recipe...not that he had too much of an appetite, after the above mentioned incident.

No comments: