Monday, October 27, 2008

Chicken Salsa Verde Bake

Friday dinner- I am home (I got the day off!), but I want something I can make ahead anyways, so that I can have fun trick-or-treating with the kiddos!

This is a Rachael Ray recipe. Laugh if you like, but I am one of her many fans! She is the reason I started cooking. I was flipping through the TV right after I got married and saw her making a Chicken Chorizo Stoup. I watched her and thought "I could do that", and I did. And it was great! And now I do it everyday. If not for her, we'd be living on Hamburger Helper and meat off the barbeque. Thanks Rachael!

Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil
2 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Two 16-ounce jars salsa verde
One 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup sour cream
3 cups crushed tortilla chips
One 8-ounce bag shredded Mexican-style cheese

Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. (***I usually use my Foreman Grill to pre-cook chicken for recipes. It's faster) Let stand until cool, then shred the meat into a large bowl. Stir in the salsa, kidney beans, onion and sour cream.

Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, scatter 1 cup tortilla chips on the bottom and top with half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat the layers and cover with the remaining 1 cup tortilla chips. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes.

**Photo from www.rachaelraymag.com

Feedback:
This was really good. Spicy, and easy. The kids couldn't eat it with us. I will make this again!

1 comment:

Kindra said...

I would never laugh. I love Rachael. Been a fan for years and years now. And yes, she makes it easy to think "hey I can do that". Rock on, Rachael!!!